“Confession is more effective than an exorcism!” – writes father Gabriele Amorth, exorcist of the diocese of Rome – “Satan is much more enraged when we take souls away from him through confession than when we take away bodies through exorcism.”
Exorcists advise: “If our weakness sometimes causes us to fall, we should immediately rise, using that wonderful mean granted to us by God’s mercy: sincerely repent for our sins and confess them during the confession”.
You probably know the conditions for validity of confession. Yes, every one of them is important. Just as eating, drinking and breathing is important for life, a well conducted confession is crucial for spiritual life.
- Examination of conscience – here you must stand in truth before God and yourself. You have to realize the truth about yourself.
- Contrition – if you still do not feel contrition for insulting God and His Love, better not receive the sacrament… The same is true if you intend to come back to sinning after confession.
- Strong resolution to better oneself – of course, you cannot get discouraged if you do not succeed at once and you fall under the weight of sin. It is your approach that matters, the attitude of your will, which keeps you from entering the domain of sin. It is a free act and no one can control you. You stand before God and yourself. Good will is a good start!
- Sincere confession – only after completing the previous conditions, confess your sins sincerely. You can cheat your confessor, but NOT God and yourself. Be aware, that by concealing a sin you make the whole confession sacrilegious, invalid. If you had the courage to sin, have the courage to confess your sins.
- Penance – this is the small price you have to pay for your sins, whose cost is much greater. Here you can experience God’s Mercy and His love for you. Do not delay penance. Do it as soon as possibile. Honesty towards yourself and God demands it.
- Satisfaction – this is the condition we tend to forget about. We demand justice for ourselves. And satisfaction is justice for your neighbor, whom you have hurt.
The absolution which you receive is only valid after all those conditions are fulfilled.